Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One2One With 'The Urban Cowboy'

"It's a little bit of Country with a Hip Hop Twist" .
Never did I think that a musician could combine Hip Hop and Country and come out with a sound so unique, so catching - so innovative. Mikel Knight's growing success is not only because his music is jaw-dropping and eye brow raising but it is equalled by an originality and attention to song structure and content, as well as the public's desire for something new and interesting to listen to in a forever changing music industry. This is what elevates Knight way above the typical musician.
I'm passionate. I'm loyal. And I feel no matter what I'm doing
that I can't be beat..I won't ever stop until I win. My worst trait is my temper, and my lack of patience. I go full speed everyday and that's not always good.

Well, I have to say, going 'full speed' certainly has brought him to where he is now, and at this rate, you'll be catching him on the airwaves in every major city!

O2O: What was the most difficult song you've ever written and why?
M.K.: I can tell you the easiest songs to write are the songs about pain..bad
times, or breakups..mostly because there were alot of those times and
feelings in my past. The hardest songs to write are the hits. Now when I
say hits I mean the songs that get you a record deal..that get you a call
back immediately and from several different labels or decision makers. The
type of song that gets you on several radio stations playlist and or creates
the buzz that changes the zeros in your savings account. To date I have
written 3 of those type of songs. The 1st got me an underground hit in
Japan that made me alot of money, the 2nd got me signed to my first major
deal and several others from 2000 - 2003 and the 3rd was my song Saddle
Up Shawty that helped break my new sound of Urban Country across the
states and across 15 other countries.

O2O: Do you find your recorded songs come out to what you actually heard
in your head?
M.K.: No, sometimes they come out worse..but that happens less and
less in my career. Now a days 95 % of my songs come out better. The
finished product always gives me those goose bumps..that how I know its a
good song that people will love and relate to.

O2O: Who are you listening to these days?
M.K.: I listen to my two favorite genres. Country and Hip Hop. I love them both. I like Jason Aldean, Toby Keith, Trace Adkins, Brad Paisley and of course the greats..Garth and George..I am from Texas. I listen to alot of different hip hop artists from Lil Wayne to TI, but its different with rappers theses days..I dont follow or listen to anyone in particular because I don't
respect them anymore. 98% of them don't stand for anything and have nothing positive to contribute to the world.

O2O:What would be your dream collaboration?
M.K.: Garth Brooks, period

O2O: Do you have any strange writing rituals that you'd like to share with us?
M.K.: Drink Whiskey!


O2O: How does touring/and writing affect your
" normal" life....?
M.K.: Well, I have never been alone but I've never been married. I spend many nights with many interesting people and awesome ladies but becuase I chase my dreams I don't know if I'm building that bond with alot of people to be by my bedside when I die if you know what I mean. I miss my friends and family and my kids alot but this is the life I chose. I want to leave something to them when I go.

O2O: How have you changed or evolved as a musician since this all started?
M.K.: I am a better performer, producer, business man and closer to my goals every day.

O2O: Do you get nervous when you're performing?
M.K.:Only that everyone in my band and every peice of equipment play smoothly and we have the chemistry
necessary to connect with the crowd. That's also my biggest challenge every night. Connecting with a different crowd in a different city each show and making sure I get my point and new sound across correctly.

O2O: Who do you listen to? Who inspires you?
M.K.:See above! lol! No one in particular..not anyone famous. I'm inspired by the average person that saved a life by giving his. War heroes, the child with cancer that doesn't know why he is going to die but goes and fights like a champ even though he can't beat it. Real life triumphs inspire me.

O2O: What is your biggest challenge as a musician?
M.K.:To connect with the fans and let them in on who I am and the things that make me great without letting all the demons I have or the bad things that made up my young adulthood come between that connection.

O2O: How do you overcome that challenge?
M.K.: Stay positive, pray, make goals for my personal life that help me to be a better person and then try and project that on others.

O2O: What's next? What projects are you currently working on?
M.K.:My new single I'm hoping will be # 4 on that hit list I was talking about ealrier. WHISKEY DRINKIN S.O.B is the name. My new promo album - "The Country Rap King vol 2 " which I use to promote my real album- The Urban Cowboy which will be in stores in late 2010. Also my new clothing line Urban Cowboy Apparel, and to continue touring. The Urban Cowboy album and Brand.
come see more at www.MikelKnight.com or www.myspace.com/texasbadboi

No comments:

Post a Comment