Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One2One With Pianotalk


If you’re looking for an otherworldly experience, travel to Pianotalk’s “galaxy” to hear his celestial songwriting abilities. Nicholas “Pianotalk” Brenneman is a talented musician from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He shines on the piano, hence the name “Pianotalk”, but also contributes his creative genius to the groups CommonGround and Ikarus Down.

CommonGround’s fusion of hip-hop, rock, and R&B is a breath of fresh air. Stand out tracks include the ode to Milwaukee’s nightlife “Club to Club”, and the ethereal “Breathe to Sea”. Ikarus Down has a vibe comparable to that of Coldplay, although “Desirable” is reminiscent of Blink 182’s “Adam’s Song”.

Pianotalk’s trademark sound is serene and soulful. From the haunting ballad “Losing Sand” to the bluesy “Only You”, Pianotalk delivers every time. His thoughtful observations of the intricacies of love, life, and loss hint at an old soul. Whether he is composing love songs as Pianotalk, producing club bangers with CommonGround, or rocking out with Ikarus Down, Nicholas Brenneman uses every song as an opportunity to take us to his galaxy: a place where great music resides.

O2O: How long have you been playing piano?
Pianotalk: Practically all my life. It seems like ever since I can remember I have been playing the piano. I started lessons at a very young age and never stopped playing and practicing.

O2O: You definitely have the gift of versatility, which can be heard in variety of your work with COMMONGROUND and Ikarus Down. Where do you get your inspiration?
Pianotalk: I spent many years of my life playing piano in a New Orleans Jazz band. Playing that sort of improvisational music really shows you that versatility is fundamental to great music.

O2O: "Losing Sand" seems to be a fan favorite. Which one of your songs means the most to you?
Pianotalk: "New Life" means the most to me. It was the first song I posted in my galaxy and the beginning of pianotalk. After I had it recorded, I listened to it non-stop for days. I kept telling myself, "I have to top that." It has given me my momentum.

O2O: Who are you listening to these days? What would be your dream collaboration?
Pianotalk: I am listening to Coldplay’s "Parachutes" Album. Dream collaboration would be with Chris Martin.

O2O: Do you have any strange writing rituals that you’d like to share with us?
Pianotalk: Sometimes when I write some chords that I like and am arranging the different parts of a new song, I will use a meaningless combination of words just to remember the vocal melody. Then I change the words once lyrics are written.

O2O:How would you describe the music scene in Milwaukee?
Pianotalk: It's like an investment. You get out what you put in. There are endless opportunities for new artists; you just have to be passionate and persistent.

O2O: Everyone has their own definition of success. At what point will you look up and say, "I’ve made it"?
Pianotalk: At my "I've made it" point I won't be looking up. I will be looking down, because I will be in space.

O2O: What are you working on right now?
Pianotalk: Writing daily pianotalk songs. Playing and creating with my band "Ikarus Down". I am also educating myself on the music industry. I am creating a professional network of artists, producers, and publishers to get my songs heard across the entire world.

No comments:

Post a Comment