Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One2One With 'Leah West'

While most Canadian musicians end up moving to the United States, Leah West went the other way. This American Singer/Songwriter/ Actress moved to Canada to put herself in our “Vibrant Canadian Music Scene” Although on Leah’s myspace account it’s classified as Rock / Indie/ Pop, I’m really hesitant to place her in a categorized box. West is definitely a surprising listen with an acoustic sound that only adds to her music. She has a unique talent for writing songs with different kinds of melodies, and, each song seems to captivate her audience with seemingly personal experiences. Her seductive high energy vocals can lend credence to the "pop" sound of her music but her melodic vocals lead to a different venue. What a lovely contradiction which remains haunting the listener for days to follow.

Currently working with producer, Marty Rifkin (Bruce Springsteen, Jewel, Tom Petty, Elton John, Dwight Yoakam, Leanne Rimes, and Glen Campbell) Leah West is quickly rising to the top and One2One had the opportunity to interview this artist.

O2O: Do you find there's a limitation to being a female singer in Canada?
L.W.: No I don't think that it's a limitation being a woman at all. Women have a beautiful perspective of the world, totally different from men. We need to embrace both perspectives in order to acheive balance in our society. Also, I think if you are going to be a female artist, Canada is a great place to be. It's a very supportive environment here for all types of music, and all types of artists. I also try to see the opportunities in any given situation. I usually try to look at limitations as simply challenges from which to grow and to try to find the answers to.

O2O: Where do you find your inspiration?
L.W.: Everywhere, literally.
Nature, love, relationships, our spirituality, things of beauty, as well as times of tragedy.
A song is just another way to convey a message or tell a story.
There are lots of stories to tell in this world.

O2O: Which song that you've recorded is your favorite? Why?
L.W.: "Beyond Words" because I knew it wasn't going to be a radio single and I had free reign to make it true to my original spiritual idea without compromising the length or the authenticity. When I wrote it, I knew it was a magical song. And when my producer, Marty Rifkin and I started to lay down the first track of the acoustic guitar, I got chills.

O2O: Who are your influences?
L.W.:Wow, this would be a long, long list, so I'll try to refrain from going overboard.
Sarah McLachlan, Peter Gabriel, Sheryl Crow, Sting, Cat Stevens, Eva Cassidy, U2, Radiohead, Ella Fitzgerald, Simon & Garfunkle, Bruce Springsteen, Leonard Cohen, Loreena McKennitt, Jann Arden, Alanis Morissette, Ennio Morricone, Otis Redding, Damien Rice, Eddie Vedder, and Paula Cole. I grew up playing piano, so a lot of the great classical composers really shaped me, too. I've only recently started playing and writing on guitar, instead of piano. Some amazing new musical discoveries for me are Tom Stinson, Ryan Donn, and Kevin Parent.

O2O: How do you define success?
L.W.: When you find peace in your heart, in your soul, and in your life.

O2O: When did you know that you wanted to become a singer?
L.W.: There's a difference between wanting to sing and becoming a singer.
I've always been singing. According to my parents, when I was a baby I sang more than talked!
I always knew I loved the arts and I've explored a lot of different avenues creatively.
It was when I started to have this giant pile of songs I wrote and realized that I needed to get them out of me. Once I started recording, it was an old question that I finally felt like there was an answer to. I realized how much I needed, not wanted, to sing. It was a necessary step that I just knew I needed to make. I think it's when you can't live without something, it just becomes a part of you. Living without music, for me, is failing to live my life as I was destined to. That's when I became a singer.

O2O: Celine Dion doesn't talk for the day when she is performing...
do you have any rituals before a show?
L.W.: No, I actually talk the day of a show! I used to be a total perfectionist and to a large degree, I still am. But with time and experience, I've learned that there is always a "better", always a "to-do list" and we will die someday with things still left undone. I'm hear to enjoy life, help others and learn. If I get too crazy with perfection, I miss the point. I've learned that most people want something real and passionate, not something sterile and perfect. In general, I try to rest before a show, but sometimes you have to perform on no sleep and let adrenaline and the energy from the crowd carry you. I try to stay hydrated throughout the day and during a performance. I can usually sing for a good 3-4 hours, but after that, I have to really work hard to maintain pitch and energy. I guess I'm pretty laid-back about my regime. Sometimes I drink hot tea and honey, other times I have a glass of wine.

O2O: What do you do for fun?
L.W.: Walk with my dog, hang with friends and family, I like boating, skiing, kayaking, biking. I love being in nature and traveling. I also paint with oils and I love to dance!

O2O: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
L.W.: I want to put out a few albums. I've written over 150 songs, so I have a lot of albums to record! I would think that I've done a few more tours, and have made a bit of a name for myself in music. I want to earn the respect of my peers. I'd also like to start a family in a few years. No matter what, I hope to always make music for the rest of my life.

O2O: What are the projects that you are working on right now?
L.W.: My next album due out sometime summer 2010.
Planning another tour for 2010 as well.
I learned a lot from my first tour in autumn 2009.
I hope to keep learning, expanding my horizons,
meeting new and interesting people and making music.

No comments:

Post a Comment