Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One2One With 'The Fadeout'.


This 4 man band from Montreal, will certainly not be ‘Fading Out’ any time soon! They have a U.S. tour under their belt, 2 EP's out and although they describe themselves as “all laid back kind of guys” they leave you with the sense that there is a strong dedication and professionalism in each of the members that form The Fadeout.
One2One had the opportunity to interview ‘The Fadeout’ and we were impressed by their ‘fusion’ of sound that can be obtained through their wide variety of musical tastes and inspired by the likes of The Velvet Underground, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and The Beach Boys, just to name a few. We find that their music comes from a deeper place. Some of this depth can be attributed to the fact that the song writer, Phil writes about his own personal experiences and emotions to give their music a more ‘real’ feeling. Feelings which the listener can easily identify with and will be left wanting more.

O2O: Where do you see yourselves in 2 years?
Steve: On a stage...somewhere
Louis: I think we'd like to have a full length done at a great studio and an international distribution deal under our belt.

O2O: How long have you been together as a band?
Phil: We've all known each other for a couple of years and we played together for about a year before releasing our first EP in 2007 so I guess we could say about 3 years and a half.

O2O: Where do you find your inspiration for your songs?
Steve: Inside Phil's head.
Phil: I mostly write about my personal feelings and experiences. Basically I just sit in front of my piano and play for hours everyday. Sometimes I write songs, sometimes I just can't but I believe that good songs will always come naturally and that as a songwriter the only thing you can do is try everyday and wait for the day where a good idea will come. Some people might say that this is not the professional way to write a song but I know that I want to feel that my songs are true and honest and that this is the best way for me to do it.

O2O: Tell us a bit about yourselves. Which band member would be more serious, the joker,etc...?
Louis: I think we're all laid back kind of guys. We love to joke around. Frank and Phil are the most talented musically while Steve and I keep the groove going in style.
Phil: We are all very close and before being band-mates we are all friends so when we are on the road we're just all trying to have a good time together. At the same time, we're capable of being very serious when it comes to rehearsing, setting up a tour or recording.
Steve: The serious one: Phil
The Joker: Frank & Phil
The one with addiction issues: Steve
The guy who's air drumming in his sleep (....I mean seriously...): Louis-Phillippe

O2O: How did you choose your name for your band?
Phil: All the good names were already taken..............but seriously We thought that there was something poetic about the idea of a gradual disappearance and it was also the name of the very first cover we ever played as a band (Radiohead - Street Spirit (FadeOut) )..............and since Kool and the gang wasn't available anymore.......:)

O2O: You completed a US tour. Where was the most memorable place that you played at? Why?
Steve: Brooklyn, because it was our very first show in the U.S. and we had a lot of fun hanging out with the other bands.
Phil: Well it wasn't a big show but I will always remember that night at "Mr. Beery's" in Bethpage. We got on stage around 11:30 pm on the third of July. At midnight, I wished 'Happy Independence Day' to everyone and in a strange, influenced by alcohol reaction, people in the audience started to wish us a happy Canada Day and at some point, they all started to sing Canada's National Anthem........I remember being on stage and saying: "What the hell is going on?......I don't even know the words, how do you all know the Ô Canada by heart?".
Then we met a lot of great people that night like that barman named Tom and his doorman who gave us two things that you really appreciate when you're on tour and from Montreal, free beer and an opportunity to talk about hockey ;)

O2O: Which cities would you like to perform in? (In future)
Louis: London, Paris, Berlin, L.A., Vancouver, Tokyo, Sydney, Rio de Janeiro :D
Phil: Well, most of North American and European cities look great but I would definitely like to play in Tokyo someday. At the same time I consider that the place where you're playing doesn't matter as much as the quality of the audience.
Steve: Yours.

O2O: I noticed that your blog has both French and English entries. Are you guys originally French? If so, what made you decide to sing in English?
Phil: Some of the band members are francophones, others are anglophones but we all grew up frequently speaking both languages. I've always wrote my lyrics in English probably because I grew up listening mostly to English bands and artists. I have nothing against French music it's just that for some strange reasons I don't like the way I sound in French.

O2O: Who are your favorite bands / singers that inspire you?
Louis: My Bloody Valentine, Grizzly Bear, The Beach boys.
Phil: I really like 60's and 70's artists like the Beach Boys, The Beatles, Tom Waits, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Velvet Underground but I'm also very into Montreal's indie bands like Arcade fire, The Stills, Malajube and Rufus Wainwright.
Steve: Greg Dully, Mark Lanegan, Brand New, The Stills, Bob Marley, Noir Desir, Pink Floyd, Red Hot Chilli Peppers

So what is The Fadeout up to now?
" We are working on new songs, We are pre producing the next record (a full length if we're lucky ;)). And here's a scoop for you lol ;) We're starting to plan our next US tour :)."

No comments:

Post a Comment