Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One2One With Zane Lewis


I stumbled upon Zane Lewis through myspace searching and knew I just had to bring his art to the forefront. He’s the type of country artist that no matter what mood you’re in, there’s a song for it. With a voice that ranges between a fun, loving, to sweet and sincere to downright, flat out sexy, Zane Lewis captures the modern country spirit and fans with the energy of a big star label.

“I gotta warn you, though. When I'm onstage, I'm an in-your-face guy and I’m all about getting the crowd jacked up and everyone enjoying themselves.” Zane says on his myspace page.

Zane’s first album, This Town, was released in 2003 and had 3 Texas Music Chart Hits- However, his second, self titled album, which was released in March 2008, by Slant Records is making a lot of noise with songs such as “Come With Me” (written by Brandon Hart), “Bad Ass Country Band” and “Southland”. This sixth generation Texan really brings his love for music and performing to the stage both on and off of it.

Partying and performing isn’t the only love for this Texan man. (Although he does enjoy his party) He has a deep sense of love and commitment for his parents who have both taken ill over the past 7 months. His mother having a heart attack on November 10, 2008, and his father suffered complete heart and respitory failure during a "routine" surgical procedure on Feb. 27th, 2009. Zane canceled both shows that he had planned in order to be with his parents. Both parents are recovering and Zane thanks all the well wishers for all of their support.

"I love doing what I'm doing — Creating music that makes people "feel" emotion...and then partying a little at the end of the day. Okay, partying a LOT at the end of the day!.......I put everything I have into this album( Self Titled) . I call it my own brand of “fuel-injected country." ......Now you know what you're getting yourself into. If you feel brave enough, come out and party with us at a show!"
~ Zane Lewis, myspace page

O2O: What are you working on right now?
Z.L.: Making as many friends on the road as
possible. I'm just trying to get my music heard,
and put on great shows. I've been writing, but
not necessarily for a next album yet. My self-titled
release has had two singles get some solid radio
play, and we probably have at least two more
that will be released to radio before another
album breaks.

O2O: Where do you get your inspiration?
Where did "Come With Me" come from?
Z.L.: Inspiration comes from a lot of different
places. Sometimes it's a specific experience
that's happened to me personally, or someone I know. While other times it's just a frame of mind I'm when a song idea hits me. That's usually when the honky-tonk songs strike. I seem to be in that frame of mind a lot. "Come With Me" was written by a friend of mine from Oklahoma, Brandon Hart. We were holed up in a hotel room in Nashville writing a song together. The song we were writing was coming along okay, but I couldn't get "Come With Me" out of my head because I had just heard it in the truck earlier that morning on a demo CD he'd given me. By the time I got back to Texas the next day I decided I had to cut that song.

O2O: What does success mean to you?
Z.L.: When I first started out I viewed success as
having hit songs that everyone would recognized.
But now that I've been in the business for a few
years, I realize that success is really measured
in increments. Building a true following of 'friends,'
takes time and devotion. And as long as I keep
reaching more people who get what I have to
offer, and the crowds keep getting bigger at my
shows, I will consider myself an 'ongoing success.'

O2O: Do you get a chance to read? If So, What
book is on your nightstand table?
Z.L.: If you could only see my nightstand! I probably
have 8 to 10 unfinished books stacked on top,
or in one of the drawers. So I guess the answer would
be, No, I don' have much time to read. Or it may be more of, I can't seem to stay focused long enough to finish one. The subjects are mostly success stories, biography types. I do read a lot of magazines and newspapers, though.

O2O: Do you find your recorded songs come out
to what you actually heard in your head?
Z.L.: I think the best songs I have written are
those in which an infectious melody just came
to me. Usually at one or two o'clock in the
morning when I can't sleep. I will run and get my digital recorder to capture the moment, and then I'll fall right to sleep, get up the next day, and write the song. The actual recorded versionsometimes matches that, and sometimes it takes on a life of its own. It's kind of like watching a child grow up. You have preconceived ideas of what you envision that child doing in life. But at the end of the day, their own spirit takes off with a little bit of you inside.

O2O: What is your favorite song that you've
recorded? Why?
Z.L.: I love playing honky-tonk, raucous, party
songs live. There is nothing like getting a crowd
amped up with a song like 'Welcome to the Southland,' 'This Town' (from my first album), or 'Bad Ass Country Band.' But I would have to say my favorite to date is a song I wrote that hasn't even been recorded yet, I'm Not Alone.' It's one I wrote after coming home from a long road trip. When I'm on the road, the first thing I think about is being back home with my family. And the line, 'I'm not alone out on this road, when my mind's back home,' sums
up my state of mind perfectly.

O2O: Finally, you have gone through so much this
past year. You always seem to have time and a
smile for your fans Where do you find it in you to be so giving? Without, it seems, rest. Since I've also seen your schedule and you're pretty booked up.
Z.L.: I've always been more of a 'giver' than a
'taker.' The only reason I record music is so I can
go out and perform it in front of a lot of friends,
and as often as possible. I live to be on stage.
And before and after every show, the most fun
thing for me to do is meet the friends we've made.
I get a rush out of visiting with everyone who has
come out to join the party. It took me six years to
get out of college because I had a tendency
to party too much. Now I get to do it for a living.
The parties have just gotten a bigger, and more frequent!

Recently, Zane was invited to play the final night of the big EquiBlues Country Music Rodeo in France with Patty Lovelace on the 14th of August. So Bon Voyage, Zane, I guess this country boy’s gonna meet France!

No comments:

Post a Comment