Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One2One With J Minus


Who is this group of five talented men, who like to play “Musical chairs” with their vocal talent? The founder is Dylan Fant. He seems to be thrilled to not be in the vocal rotation though and according to the bands MySpace page, he should be. Dylan says: “I write and produce most of the music and lyrics of J minus, but I don't sing because ...well...my voice is lame and nobody would ever want to listen to it”

People are listening and have tried to categorize this band as Indie, Rock or Country. I think they are in category of their own. Dylan has labeled their sound “Rockousticfolkternative” Wow! Try saying that 3x in a row! We like it and we think we can now say” Hey that sounds like “J Minus”. Their sound leaves the listener wanting to come back for more. They are truly unique with their music score, composing, and finally their delivery. J Minus is wonderfully refreshing.

Here are answers from Dylan himself, when One2One was able to email a few questions, a fun insight on this up and coming band, a group of FUN GUYS doing what they love. Dylan, quoted as saying: “Our music is better than we look” Guys, we think you look great and you are bringing a new era of great music.

O2O: So we are curious where did the name J Minus comes from?
Dylan-The name J minus actually comes from an inside joke, like most of our crap....hehehe....a few years ago, Trevor and I were in another band together and he was singing something that went way out of key....I made fun of him and started singing something EXTREMELY off just to mock him...then he came back at me with "whatever dude, at least I wasn't singing in the key of J minus" it was the first thing that popped into his head and I loved it! In the beginning, I couldn't sing very well and it always seemed to end up in that key....so that's where I got the name from.”

O2O: If you had to give your music a label or genre what would it be?
Dylan:Genre? we call it “Rockousticfolkternative”

O2O:Who where your musical influences growing up?
Dylan:I went through a lot different changes as far as what I listened to.
I would say my main influences were
a) 90's alternative (as well as some 80's alternative)
b) Trevor Wheetman (the lead singer) who was influenced by such artists as James Taylor/Paul Simon/Van Morrison....so basically I was influenced by them through Trevor because he covered so many of them and introduced them to me early in my songwriting career.
c) Gangster rap and a few other hip hop artists.

020: If you could meet a musician living or dead, whom would it be and why?
What about them made you admire their music?
Dylan: “I guess The Edge of U2 because his style probably influenced my sound the most. I've always loved his sound.”

O2O:You pointed out that you feel lucky to get to do what you love. Most of us don’t have that opportunity, where do you see yourself musically in 2 yrs?
Dylan: I have no idea, (Hahaha) I guess I'm hoping to be making a little more money through music sales and possibly be backed by a small label that believes in what we do. I'd like to have the next 2 albums out, 2 more Trading Voices albums out and around 4 more in the bag for the following years.

O2O: “I love the title of Trading Voices, It so fits your unique style”

020: You mentioned that you and your band mates never really fit in. Certainly your humor and personality is what you bring to your music and it sets you apart. Tell me a little about each band mate, who is the goofy one, the serious one. Etc?

Dylan:Trevor (main lead) is one of the funniest guys I know. Always goofing off and a lot of fun to be around, tough to work with sometimes. He's got horrible ADD and has a hard time focusing on anything. We've known each other for 8 years now, so we're pretty used to each other and have learned how to deal. Trevor lives life to the fullest most of the time...doesn't really worry about the future....or at least doesn't act like it. Extremely creative in all aspects of art and life, but has a hard time completing certain things....if he looses interest in something, it's over haha

Chris (2nd lead/rhythm guitar) another class clown. Goofing off and always running his mouth. If he's quiet, something is seriously wrong. He always takes care of business though...has a real serious side that you can depend on. Very loyal and as good as a band mate as you could find. Always willing to sacrifice for the good of the group (when he can)

Myer (bass) Mr. Business/Diplomat. Very chill guy and easy to get along with, He's one of those people where if you don't get along with him, there's probably something wrong with you (haha!)
He’s an architect, so he's the only one in the band with a "real" job. Great sense of humor, and extremely solid bass player/musician.

Dylan (me) I earned the nickname "No Fun Fant" from Trevor for a reason. I dedicated my life to music a long time ago, and that's pretty much all I do. I love goofing off too, but I'd be called "the serious one" probably. All I do is sit in my studio... either working on someone else's project, or my own stuff. I don't leave my house very often. I would if I had money, but that's the sacrifice I make for now. I laugh at just about anything, and I'm pretty easy going most of the time. I've always been a leader, and pride myself in being someone that you can always count on....which can be a pretty boring personality sometimes (hahaha!)

O2O: Dylan, Thank you what a great insight into your awesome band. With awesome songs such as “Have faith in me” and “Dream come true”, I only see you getting your wish of being signed on. We love your sound. Keep Up the good work!


J Minus music is available on “Cd Baby”, i Tunes< or Direct from their site. If you haven’t got a chance to hear this band check them out: www.myspace.com/jminusband.

No comments:

Post a Comment