Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One2One With 'Brenda loomis and the Blue Coyote Band

As a hardened hip hop fan, I felt a little flustered when presented with the task of writing about.....country music. Normally my little “writer’s routine” includes several days of connecting to a subject’s music before I write a single word. How was I going to connect with a genre of music that I don’t particularly enjoy? Well, I tentatively clicked the link to the Blue Coyote Band’s MySpace page and pressed play. “Raising My Standards” came on, and my foot began to tap. I looked at my foot and dared it to keep moving. “Later” came on, and that rebellious foot of mine kept tapping. “Big Love” was next, and it spoke to me- soon I was singing “I’ve had enough of losers”. By the time I got to the ballads, I was sold.

Brenda’s voice is telling of a woman who knows something about love. Her smooth, soulful crooning had me singing along like I was at Beyonce concert. The band is equally talented. The true country fans out there seem to agree. Blue Coyote Band has had two number one singles, which are being played on radio stations across the United States and in Europe. This Michigan based band is giving the southern bands a run for their money. One2One’s staff took some time to get to know the Blue Coyote Band and here’s what we found out:]

O2O: Celine Dion doesn't talk for the day when she is performing...
do you have any rituals before a show?
BCB: Yes, I try not to talk very much and I only eat fruits and vegetables, and drink lemon-based non-sugar drinks.

O2O: Please introduce the band and tell us a bit about each and their role & personality.
BCB: Paul is our keyboard player and front man. He’s very witty, personality plus. Our manager Scott also does double duty as drummer. Bob, the lead vocalist and bass player, is very funny and happy-go-lucky. Clay plays lead guitar, saxophone, and rhythm guitar. Clay is thoughtful and ever the professional. Ron, who’s dedicated and technical, also plays lead guitar, steel guitar and harmonica.

O2O: Do you find your recorded songs come out to what you actually heard in your head?
BCB: Most of them.

O2O: What is the largest crowd you've ever performed to?
BCB:25,000 people

O2O: What is your most memorable show that you've performed, and why?
BCB:Fort Loramy, Ohio, opened for a lot of big artists’ three-day long show

O2O: What’s your biggest challenge as a band? What has been your approach in facing that challenge?
BCB:Our strategies are basically appealing to all kinds of crowds, having fun on stage while performing, and interacting with the crowd.

O2O: Many artists taste success and they let it go to their head. How do you keep yourself grounded?
BCB:By remembering that when the lights go down everyone is the same.

O2O: Your band's name is fantastic. How did you come up with that?
BCB:Scott came up with the name. He wanted Coyote Blue, but it was already taken. So... he came up with Blue Coyote Band.

O2O: How do touring and writing affect your “normal " life....?
BCB:It's exciting, but sometimes exhausting. We try to keep the whole family involved.

O2O:You're currently being played on radio stations across America. What's
next? What projects are you currently working on?
BCB: We're currently writing new songs and hoping to record a new CD soon and DVD. The DVD is soon to be recorded in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment