Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One2One With Adam Gilchrist


With a voice unlike any of today’s mainstream crooners, Adam Gilchrist’s folksy approach to modern day music is one worth hearing. From the haunting ballad “Silence” to the tragically romantic “Without Warning”, listeners will embark on a voyage layered with soothing melodies and inspirational verse. One2One’s interview with Adam revealed that he has already accomplished a couple rock-star feats, including the requisite stint in rehab prompted by a fall into the lifestyle of sex, drugs, and of course…rock and roll. With those experiences behind him, Adam continues to write new material and is now looking to get his music on the radio. Check out One2One’s Q&A with Adam Gilchrist to learn more about this star on the rise.

O2O: What is your favorite song that you've recorded? Why?
A.G: That would probably have to be "Silence". It was a simple song when I wrote it, and to me it still has a certain simplicity to it on the CD. The keys extenuate that lonely, eerie feeling that I felt when I wrote it. The recording did not take away from the song, but I feel it improved to capture my mood.

O2O: What book is on your nightstand table?
A.G: On the floor beside my nightstand is a cook book entitled "International Cooking" and a book entitled "The Darkest Evening of the Year". I have yet to open that one, so I really can't say how it is (it is a thriller, I know that much). I work as a cook at a restaurant which explains the cookbook.

O2O: Where do you get your inspiration? Where did "Without Warning" come from?
A.G: I draw a lot on just everyday struggles that I have had. I write about my ups, and my downs, my fears, insecurities, the future and hope. Whatever I am writing about, I try to create a good flowing story. "Without Warning" is about someone old having a terminal illness, knowing they are about to die, but they don't want to go. The influence for the song's chorus came from the last moments before my grandfathers passing.

O2O: Do you find your recorded songs come out to what you actually heard in your head?
A.G: Sometimes they come out how I heard them, and sometimes they take on a whole new life. That is the beauty of recording, once you start to layer in other instruments, the song can become something new. But there are times when I like just keeping things simple with me and a guitar. I just have to pay attention to my gut and my conscience. I know when something strikes me as "not right", and I have to try another approach.

O2O: What does success mean to you?
A.G: Success means achieving my goals, overcoming obstacles, not quitting... It all has to do with balance. I don't know if I will ever say "Ah, I finally made it", cause I don't want to stop growing and learning. I believe there is always another challenge around the corner...and I am a little afraid.

O2O: What are you working on right now?
A.G: At the moment I am looking to get some musicians together to go into the studio and record some new material that I have. I miss having other musicians with me......it has a certain camaraderie. The goal is to try and get some music out on the radio, first utilizing the local radio stations. All the while I am constantly working on new material.

O2O: Why did you decide to be a one man band? Was this a conscience decision?
A.G: It just happened really. I was playing in a band up until three years back, enjoyed it I must say, but I started to take a turn off of the right path of life and wasn't doing to good. To put it bluntly, I needed to get some help, and that is what I did. I put getting my life back in order as a priority and had to leave the music scene for awhile. I never stopped writing, even while I was in treatment....so it just naturally became me and my guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment