Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One2One With Granger Smith


With 'Don't Listen To the Radio' hitting number 5 on the Texas charts, Granger Smith is fast becoming a common household name in the South.

Granger has been to Iraq and Kuwait to sing for our troops three times and sang three shows at the White House including two for President Bush, as well as doing 2 tours of Europe. This man is very busy, so I was happy when Granger took the time to have an email interview session with One2One.

While listening to this artist sing, there is one thing that is made clear to me. He's doing what he was meant to. His songs hold truth to them and everyone, can identify with them.

“Music is what I do” quips Smith. “If I can help someone get lost in the moment of a song long enough to forget the worries of the world or long enough to remember what’s most important, then I’ve done my job.”
~MySpace page

Band Website: www.grangersmith.com
Granger Smith - Lead Vocals/Acoustic Guitar
Michael Holleman - Drums/Driver/Band Leader
Manny Lopez - Bass/Mexican
Eric Barrera - Piano/Disco Dancer
Charlie Berry - Guitar/The Awesome
Hunter - Merchandise/"El Matador"

O2O: Do you find your recorded songs come out to what you actually heard in your head?
G.S.:Absolutely. No songwriter wants their songs to come out different on tape. Unlike I've done in the past, now I record all my songs with my own band in my own studio. It gives me flexibility to make corrections, adjustments or complete revamps of the song. I try to get it as much like I hear it in my head, otherwise I move on to another song.

O2O:Who would you consider to be your musical influences?
G.S.:George Strait, Bruce Hornsby, Dean Dillon, The Eagles

O2O:What do you do for fun? What's fun for you nowadays...
G.S.:So much time is put into music and we have so much fun on the road. Every week is like a mini vacation. I also enjoy to hunt, fish, play golf and watch football

O2O:4) Do you get nervous at performing live? If so, how do you deal with it?
G.S.: Not really. The only time I get nervous is if the show scenario has really changed from the norm. I feel really comfortable with our material on stage. The more the people, the more the excitement, but that only makes for a better show

O2O:What was the most difficult song you've ever written and why?
G.S.: The most difficult songs to write for me believe it or not are the generic songs "hooky" songs. (which every album needs) The deep, meaningful, or true story songs always come quick with large bursts of inspiration.

O2O:How does touring/and writing affect your " normal " life....?
G.S.: Tour is my normal life. I don't have a normal job so this is all I know. I've always wanted to be on the road since before I knew about music. People that know me best know that I'm more myself when I'm working a lot and I enjoy having loved ones come along!

O2O:How do you deal with discouragement and disappointment?
G.S.: With more work! No's are common in this business and nothing makes that memory shorter than writing a good new song or jumping back on the stage. It makes it all go away...

O2O:Which other artist would you like to meet and why?
G.S.: George Strait. But only in the right circumstance. He allowed me to see from a young age what it's like on the front row. I'll never forget being the biggest fan ever and it helps me to understand what music means to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment