Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One2One With Bek Phillips


After One2One’s question and answer session with Bek Phillips, one thing was made clear. She is quite the overachiever. The singer from Hebron, Connecticut wrote her first song at age 15. Also a brilliant painter, and poet, , Phillips went on to earn a scholarship at Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts. These days, she is busy promoting her debut album “Addiction of the Day” while preparing for the release of her sophomore album later this year.
“Addiction of the Day” evokes thoughts of Pink and Natasha Bedingfield. Phillips’ sultry voice floats earnestly over heavily produced tracks while she muses over love affairs past, present, and future. Talented, beautiful, and edgy… Bek Phillips has a bright future.

O2O: If you could record with anyone in the world, who would it be, and why?
BEK: I would have to say Ben Folds, I think he's an amazing performer, you never know what he'll do next and I admire that.

O2O: Where do you get your inspiration? What is the story behind “Evaporated”?
BEK: Evaporated is a cover originally by Ben Folds. We gained permission to put it on the CD. I just so related to that song at the time. My dad was struggling with cancer, and a lot of my own bad choices were staring me in the face. I couldn't have said it any better than he did. In my own writing is always about my experiences...relationships, thinking about human nature and life that inspires a song. There is always a story behind my writing

O2O: Music and fashion go hand in-hand. How would you describe your personal style
BEK: I have to admit I'm a bit of a tomboy. I like being casual and then giving it my own flare, I'm a pretty low maintenance girl, but I do love make-up (I think it must be the whole artist thing).

O2O: "Addiction of the day" seems to be your fans' favorite song with over 160,000 plays on MySpace. Which song means the most to you and what was the hardest song to record?
BEK: The song that means the most to me is actually the song “Look at me Now” because it tells the struggle behind the music and the appreciation for everyone that has helped me along the way. The most difficult to record was probably “WHY WHY WHY” because it wasn't exactly what I had originally envisioned for the song.

O2O: Album number two is on its way. In what ways have you grown since recording your first album?
BEK: I'm always changing. I'm very creative when it comes to making music and different things inspire me: different relationships, new stories to tell. I think I'm more daring now and willing to try new things. I'm also more comfortable with the overall recording process.

O2O: Exactly how did you find your way into the music business?
BEK:I've always had a passion for music so it kind of found me! When you are in bands and getting out there opportunities arise!

O2O:What artists/songs are you listening to right now?
BEK: I love Lady Gaga! I think she is creative and brilliant. I've also gone back and been listening to the artists who I originally loved: Alanis, Jewel, Fiona Apple, and Tori Amos.

O2O:"Weekend" is a fun song, maybe even a little naughty. What would the perfect weekend be like for you?
BEK:I would love to get away somewhere warm and relax!!

O2O:What are you working on right now? At what point will you look around and say, "I've made it"?
BEK: Right now, I'm still trying to make a name for myself and share my music with as many people as possible. This is a passion and an addiction but it's also very, very expensive for an unsigned artist. Every bit of money I make goes right back in to it! I think when I'm getting paid to do what I love, I will have made it, and of course a Grammy would be awesome too.

No comments:

Post a Comment