Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One2One With John Nathaniel


He doesn’t go for the usual, and as he puts it "cliché", version of talking in the third person, telling you about his accomplishments. Rather, John Nathaniel talks to you in a real, personal conversation. His ideas and opinions are right there.

His myspace account is an engaging experience in itself. As I type this, John’s song “Ever” is playing in the background, and I'm reading his About Me section.
It gives me the sense that although he is a young musician, he has a depth of maturity that is typically found in more seasoned and experienced musicians.

John describes himself as an “indie” artist - which, for him, means he’s doing it himself. From having his own recording studio, to knowing how to play bass, guitar, piano and a bit of drums. John prefers to have an “acoustic” feel to his songs because of the feeling that it adds, believing that a "great song can always be sung with only an acoustic and still sound great."

He writes all his own songs and when I asked him what his favorite song was he answered me
"There's not just one, there are a few songs that I've written that I really like for different reasons.
"Stay" for the strings arrangement and the emotional aspect of the song.
"Overdrive" (from my upcoming EP) for its energy and all the cool effects.
"Sleeping With The Enemy" for its lyrical content.
I guess there is something about every song I record, so I can't just pick one."

O2O: Who would you consider to be your musical influences?
JN: Pretty much everything I listen to influences me, from Rock to Classical music. If I have to pick a 80/90s music like :

Bon Jovi
Vertical Horizon
Collective Soul
Elton John
and I also have earlier influences like THE BEATLES

O2O : What are you working on right now?
JN: I'm currently working on my 3rd EP. I'm working on a song called
"See What We've Become" which is about a hero, living among us who has a point
of view. He wants to help and save people but he also
wants to make them realize
that they're the ones making the mess.

O2O: What was the most difficult song you've ever written and why?
JN: I guess musically, "See What We've Become" is pretty much out there, mostly because of its minor scale and the weird notes here and there. Also I really had a dilemma when it came to picking the tempo of the song, I really
had to make
compromises on certain parts to have the right groove.

O2O: What does success mean to you?
JN: Success to me, is being recognized for your work by a certain group of people. It doesn't have to mean that you play on the radio or on TV. Certain people think fame is success. It is in a way, but not for me. I'd rather be recognized for the music
I play than for trying to play pretty boy on TV.

O2O: Do you find your recorded songs come out to what
you actually heard in your head? Or do they evolve?
JN: You know what, I sometimes get a melody in my head,
I usually turn on my computer, record the idea in
5 minutes on my keyboard (or sing it on my
webcam and save the file).

Then, when it's time to record new material, I browse
through all those ideas and pick the ones that have potential. It also gives me a perspective to listen to
it a few months later. I can decide which ones are
good, and which ones are.....just plain bad - hahahaha!

But seriously, it works well. I also write music on the spot. I schedule a time and a date, I sit down and write! Inspiration is like a muscle, you have to train it and the more you write, the more you'll be inspired.

John is looking forward to “traveling the world, doing i
ntense tours and continuing to make a living out of playing music and singing”. John readily includes his fans in his future, thanking everyone for their support and explaining that he loves to see people singing his tunes and going to his concerts. While watching one of his videos,
I noticed how he interacts with his audience; he’s
not up there
alone - he takes his fans with him on his journey.

Managed by Mike B (Insights Management), John is working on his 3rd EP, the first two being “Shades of Gray” and “Crash and Burn”. He has released a new single,
“Two of Us”, which is currently available on itunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment