Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One2One With Brandon Hart


Just listening to Brandon Hart sing “Summer of Wichita”, I can close my eyes and practically feel the wheat field beneath my fingertips. Brandon's voice, his lyrics, his music gives you the sense that you’re right in the middle of Kansas. Down home country, and that’s a “Good Thang”

While Brandon was attending High School, then the University of Oklahoma, he started thinking about songwriting / performing as a career choice. He packed up, and moved to Nashville, struggling for 5 years, selling boots in the downtown area. Brandon Hart has more than paid his dues, so to speak. In 2000, he got his first real big break and was signed with Universal Music Publishing Group Nashville. Hart is writing with such veteran songwriters as Mark D. Sanders, Tommy Lee James, Ed Hill, Stephony Smith, Gary Burr, Kostas, and Tia Sillers.

Right from the moment that I landed on Brandon’s myspace page, and heard his songs playing, I saw a true artist and I needed to bring Brandon’s talent to the front.
He’s the one in the background. Writing and composing lyrics and melodies that get stuck in your head for days…(trust me, I’ve had the song ‘It’s a Good Thang in my head since I first heard it!) It’s Brandon’s lyrics and music scores that singers bring to life. Although he dreams that one day he will be a successful recording artist, he spends most of his time, writing amazing songs. Not too long ago, Mercury recording artist Mark Wills recorded Brandon's song "That's A Good Thang" A song that sticks in your head and gets you dancing in your seat.

O2O: What is your favorite song that you've written and recorded?
B.H.: It's a new one that hasn't been released yet. It's a hell of a song called "Shake Your Tailgate". The recording turned out great and should be on iTunes soon! I'll let you know when we get a drop date.

O2O: Who would you consider to be your musical influences?
B.H.: I was the kid in the middle of the living room floor with my parents record collection spread out everywhere. I didn't know any of the artists at the time but I would just listen to everything. I can still remember when I stumbled onto "When a Man Loves A Woman" by Percy Sledge. That impacted my life! What a defining time for me. I remember Tom Petty, Bob Seger, Bob Dylan, Journey, The Cars, George Strait, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John and Bernie Taupin, James Taylor, and Billy Joel all being in that pile. Those are certainly the greatest influences on my writing.

O2O: What are you working on right now?
B.H.: Right now I'm working on the second album. It's written and ready to record. I have the first single "Shake Your Tailgate" ready to go!

O2O: What do you do for fun? What's fun for you nowadays...
B.H.: The most fun I've had my in my life is playing with my son. There is nothing better.

O2O: Do you get nervous at performing live?
B.H.: Sometimes I do. But I'm pretty ornery, I just take that nervous energy and push myself into doing something crazy.

O2O: What advice would you give to an aspiring songwriter?
B.H.: Don't Stop Believin! ever....

No comments:

Post a Comment